President Buhari to Name Looters of Public Funds May 29

Buhari orders immediate sack of Maina, demands probe of recall

President Muhammadu Buhari will on Sunday, May 29, 2016 being his first anniversary in office, reveal the names of persons who voluntarily returned public funds looted by them and as well mention the total amount recovered so far.

Buhari disclosed his intention yesterday in London during an interview monitored on Channels Television after attending a four-day international summit on anti-corruption hosted by the British government.

“So far, what has come out, what has been recovered, in whatever currency, from which ministry, department and individuals, I intend on the 29th to speak on this because all that Nigerians are getting to know are from the newspapers, radio and television. We want to make a comprehensive report by May 29,” Buhari said.

Buhari had on Friday, December 11, 2015 promised to reveal the names of former government officials who have voluntarily returned looted funds to the coffers of the Federal Government in “due course,” adding then that early disclosure of their identities “may jeopardize the possibility of bigger recoveries.”

He said his government owes Nigerians adequate information on recovery of looted funds, explaining that it is part of the collective effort to change the country from the “bastion of corruption it currently is, to a place of probity and transparency”.

The fulfilment of the President’s promise is seen by analysts as lending credence to the ongoing anti-corruption fight and will send fears down the spines of public officials.

Facebook Comments

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.